When a little merry is what you seek, a little merry is what you shall find. Gather your friends and family to kick off the holiday season in a bright way. We have five suggestions that are sure to delight.
— FIREWORKS —
Surprise! There are fireworks this time of year in Virginia; no need to wait until New Year’s Eve or Independence Day when there are major displays for your enjoyment.
– Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination, Williamsburg
– Christmas Illuminations at Mount Vernon, Mount Vernon
– Hollydazzle, Newport News
Christmas Illumination at Mount Vernon
— LIGHTED BOAT PARADES —
An interesting way to light up the season is with an evening parade of decorated, lighted boats on the water, and there are a few places to enjoy such a show in Virginia.
– Deltaville – lighted boat tour
Christmas Illuminated Boat Parade in Alexandria by R. Kennedy.
— CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTINGS —
Many Virginia communities gather together to flip the switch on their annual tree, so these mentions do not scratch the surface. Discover more.
– Chincoteague Island
– Clifton Forge
Annual Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony, Chincoteague Island. Photo by JMS Photography.
— CANDLELIGHT HOME TOURS —
Virginia’s historic homes and private residences are putting candles in the windows, wreaths on the door, and a welcome mat out front just for you this season. Come on in and take a look around.
– Monument Avenue, Richmond
– Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest, Forest
– Lantern Tours at Meadow Farm, Glen Allen
– James River Plantation, Williamsburg
– George Washington’s Mount Vernon, Mount Vernon
– Stratford Hall, Stratford
– Christmas at Oatlands, Leesburg
– Discover More
— DRIVES FOR LIGHTS —
Drive all 100 Miles of Lights or pick a few experiences here and there this season. You don’t even have to get out of the car.
– McDonald’s Holiday Lights at the Beach, drive the boardwalk at Virginia Beach
– Celebration in Lights, Newport News
– Elks National Home Christmas Lights Display, Bedford
– Illuminate Light Show & Santa’s Village, Doswell
– Celebration of Lights, Staunton
Don’t forget the wonderful German Christmas Market at Bluestone Vineyards in the Shenandoah Valley! https://www.bluestonevineyard.com/events.html